Sunday, 19 April 2015

DIY Corduroy Skirt


I wanted to share a little post with you all about my sewing journey! I've been wanting to learn how to sew (properly) pretty much my whole life, but in classic Kendall style only ever got around to learning the basics by teaching myself. So when my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, I thought I would ask for something that I would really benefit from. They were generous enough to have me enrolled on a 6 week sewing course at 'The Bowery', which is a gallery and creative space around the corner from my house in Leeds. The classes are small (we have around 8 people in ours) and you work on certain projects depending on what your skill level is. Because I had sewing machine experience and knew some simple techniques, they suggested that I started on a skirt. And what you see in my photos is what it turned out like! I went for a mustard yellow cord a-line mini skirt, which I am really happy with.


By making the skirt I learnt how to cut a pattern and alter it to fit me perfectly, sew in a zip, and add in a facing. I am now moving on to a denim smock dress project. I got some amazing paisley material for my lining, so I can't wait to get started. If any of you are considering starting a sewing course, I would highly recommend it. If you live in Leeds definitely check out The Bowery and see what they have on offer, they do loads of different things from illustration to upholstery.

Has anyone else done a sewing course before? What project would you recommend I do next?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I have some cord in the exact same colour, might have to try a skirt too. Good luck with the rest of your classes. The colette patterns website has a free top pattern which might be a good on to try.
    Zoe | floral and feather

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)