Thursday, 1 August 2013

DIY: Scarf Camera Strap

I've recently had a good sort out in my room in a bid to send a healthy sized bag to the charity shop. There is always such a struggle when it comes to which pile those items end up in that you just don't wear anymore but aren't quite ready to part with! I have a lovely silk scarf that has been sitting around for ages as I've been making excuses to keep it, although I don't think its seen daylight for a long time. Im pleased to say that yesterday I gave it a new lease of life and turned it into a beautiful camera strap!

You will need:
A scarf, leather, 2 lobster clasps, 2 key rings, pen, scissors, sewing machine (or hand-stitch with needle and thread). You can easily find these type of clasps online and you won't need to part with lots of cash. I picked up a pack of 10 for £3!

Step 1. Draw and cut out the shape shown above. Repeat this so you have 2 leather pieces
Step 2. Fold the leather piece at the skinny region. Thread on your clasp so it sits in the middle of your leather piece.
Step 3. Time to get sewing! Place the send of your scarf in between the leather parts. Make sure the fabric including those wispy ends are all tucked in. Stitch around the leather to make a square. Then stitch diagonally across to one of the corners. Repeat this by going back along one of the sides of the square and stitch diagonally in the opposite direction. This gives a good secure hold on the scarf.
Step 4. Repeat this using the second piece of leather at the other end of the scarf.

And that is it! Easy peasey! Don't worry if you don't have a sewing machine. You can still do this tutorial and stitch by hand. 
As you can see, I've needed to use a key ring to attach the strap as the camera link was very small. I couldn't find a clasp thin enough to fit directly to the camera but adding a ring did the trick. You may find this is not the case for your strap and you don't need the key rings.
Can't wait to get out and use my camera now! I think this scarf was well worth holding on to and I will definitely get more use out of it now.What do you think? I personally am so pleased with how well it turned out! It was so easy and looks shop-bought! 

Lots of love
Kate xxx

13 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing! So creative, I could never have thought up something like this!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea! Its probably more comfortable to wear around your neck than the normal camera strap too. Definitely trying this :)

    roshjourney.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous! And I agree with the other comments, I bet its a lot comfier to wear than a normal one!

    http://agnesandelle.blogspot.co.uk/
    Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. In love with this idea! I guess I have some work to do :)

    xx

    http://analeote.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a great idea, this looks amazing!

    Aysha x (now following you via Bloglovin')
    outletjunkie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea, and it totally paid off - it's gorgeous! I'd love to do this,a s I just got a new camera, and this is the perfect personal touch I'd love to add to it! x
    from-the-art.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen these before but your explanation seems so much easier! Definitely doing this when have treated myself to a new camera! H

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute idea!! Love the blog, btw, just stumbled across it (:

    xx
    Natalie | Salt & Sail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I'm getting a camera for my birthday next week so I'm going to make this, but I can't find lovely clasps like yours online! Where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m trampled by your contents carry on the wonderful work.
    cool camera bags

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)