Monday, 31 December 2012

No Needles Knitting: DIY Snood

I've been wanting a snood for a while now but I've been determined to learn the art of knitting and make one myself. However, I make dropping stitches a bit of a habit and don't quite have the coordination to juggle the needles as well as the wool!
This Christmas, Santa delivered a truly awesome gift and I've since learnt how to knit on your hands. It's so easy and I managed to get into the swing of it straight away. On the downside, I didn't have enough hands to take photos as I went. Hence these crummy illustrations I'm afraid! Oh well brings something a bit different to a blog post! 

Before you start, cut off about 8 metres of wool to save for stitching up your knitted 'noodle' to create the snood shape.

Steps 1 to 4 - Casting on: 
1) Place the wool between your thumb and index finger and weave between your fingers 
2) Pass the wool around your index and weave back through as shown in the pictures above.
3) Repeat this again by passing the wool around your pinky and weave back through. Leave the working wool infront of your thumb. Push the loops down so each finger has 2 loops around it. 
4)Take the bottom loop and pull it up over the top loop and off your finger. Repeat this for each finger including your index finger (the 'Tail' will fall between your index and middle fingers). 

Steps 5 to 6 - Knit knit knit!
5) Take the working wool and once again weave it through your fingers. Push the wool down creating 2 loops on each finger.
6) Like step 4, pick the bottom loop and take it off your finger. Repeat for each finger. 

Now keep repeating steps 5 and 6 to create a long knitted noodle. 


Steps 7-8 Casting off:
7) Once you have lifted off the bottom loops for the last time you will be left with 1 loop on each finger ready to cast off. Transfer the loop from your pinky to your ring finger then pull the bottom loop on your ring finger and onto your middle finger. Repeat this for your middle and index finger
8) Pull working wool through the end loop, pull tight and cut. 

The Last Leg:
After casting off, give your knitted noodle a bit of a stretch for a more even shaped tube. Next fold it into 6 even lengths and, with the extra wool saved, weave it between the knitted loops up and down the noodle. Now all you need to do is stitch up the ends to create the snood shape! 







Voila! Not too bad for a first attempt. Its perfect to keep you snuggly warm on a cold day. And definitely something you'd find in highstreet shops! I think I'm going to make another with the same length noodle but fold 4 times to see how a longer and thinner snood turns out.

Lots of love 
Kate xxx

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so unsure how it was going to turn out but I'm really pleased!
      Thanks for your comment as always :)
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Love the finished snood :). I'm the otherway round I've tried finger knitting and can't get the hang of it, but I'm getting better at actual knitting as I do textiles on my course so have been experimenting with different stitches. I think crotchet is a lot easier to pick up though if you haven't tried that already :)
    E
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo yes thats a good idea! Crotchet uses just one hook right? Ill have to keep my eyes open for a crochet project that takes my fancy! Although I'm always a bit put off by the scary looking instructions, they don't look so easy to read!
      xxx

      Delete
  3. This is incredible, you girls are so talented! Definitely going to be giving this a try. Happy New Year! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You're so kind! Yes I cant recommend it enough, its super easy :)
      Let us know how it goes, good luck!
      xxx

      Delete
  4. How long did this take? The result looks amazing and I love the oatmeal color!

    -Courtney
    www.alwaysrooney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This colour is great because it goes with everything! I'm literally wearing it every day haha!!
      It took about 2 hours to knit the long noodle (I remember I did it infront of the tele on xmas day as 2 programmes past by). Then the stitching up is a bit more fiddly so a bit longer. Hope that helps!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! i tried knitting a few years ago and it just didn't happen. I've also wanted a snood for a long time but couldn't find one i liked :/ so thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your perfect solution! Im going to be knitting everyone these for birthdays from now on! haha
      Enjoy! Tweet us how it goes :)
      xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow.. loving the snood and colour is lovely.
    I am going to give it a try and was wondering what the Kit is called as it would be a perfect present for my sis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its called Pinky Knits :) Good luck! Tweet us a photo!
      Thanks for your comment xx

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely amazing! Love it...just as much as your other posts! <3

    xoxo,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! About how much yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still had more than half a ball of yarn left, though it also depends on how big you make it. :) hoped this helped!

      Delete
  9. I made this and It worked beautifully, though I must have done the measurements wrong because it wouldn't fit over my head! I ended up being able to stretch it and it looked beautiful. Thank you so much for making this DIY!! Love your blog for ever!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)